Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 21, 2011
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Program Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Paul Bryan, Rima Khalil, Tim Opremcak, Tracy Redling, Erica Studness and Leslie Workman
Absent: Mary Jane McNally, Scott Spitzer
Also Present: Anne Meany
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 11-20 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Rima Khalil to approve the minutes of the June 29, 2011 meeting as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Tim’s report will be covered under Director’s Report.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Anne announced that she has identified 3 staff members to help with the Strategic Planning sub-committee (Ruth Lufkin, Ellen Stork, and Anne Babits)
· A draft of the technology plan will be distributed via email – please send in any ideas/suggestions. Priorities for the plan will be reviewed and discussed next time.
· Anne announced 2 new staff members:
· Jacquelyn Ridzy, the new Adult Program Coordinator
· Debbie Merghart, the new bookkeeper
· Friday, Sept 23 was staff development day with a picnic in the afternoon.
· Public comments were referenced that the library handled Hurricane Irene very well.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
· The paving of the parking lot was a library (vs. township) expense.
· $100M in bequests expected – this funding is unrestricted.
· Board may want to consider getting estimates to modernize the 1st floor.
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Jacquelyn Ridzy attended the last meeting where she presented funding requests, which were all approved.
D. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
Construction on the bathrooms is underway.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
The Director Search Committee met to review resumes and selected 3 candidates for in-person interviews on October 1.
G. Policy—Erica Studness
H. Strategic Plan—Erica Studness
Sub-committed to be established.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
K. Website (Ad Hoc)—Tracy Redling
Some feedback for the new library website has been received - overall, it has been positive.
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
11. NEW BUSINESS
· Discussed the need to change the date of the next Board meeting in order to review the Director candidates that will be interviewed on October 1. Motion to hold the next meeting on October 19, 2011 instead of October 26 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Lois Bloom.
· New logo design proposals from Graphic Designs were suggested as part of the web re-design efforts. Motion was made to pursue by Leslie Workman and seconded by Tracy Redling.
· Letter in the newspaper regarding Leisure Learning requires no action.
· MOTION 11-21 was made by Tracy Redling and seconded by Rima Khalil to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.