Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
October 19, 2011
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Program Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Paul Bryan, Rima Khalil, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Erica Studness and Leslie Workman
Absent: Tracy Redling Scott Spitzer
Also Present: Anne Meany
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 11-22 was made by Erica Studness and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the minutes of the September 21, 2011 meeting as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
The President’s report will be covered under the Director’s Report.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· The bathroom renovation is coming along well. Library staff are pleased with the workmanship of the contractors.
· The switch from SIRSI to Polaris is imminent with a Go-Live date of October 27. Circulation will be accomplished by paper the two transition days that the system will be unavailable.
· Banned Book Week was observed late September
· About 75 people attended the Twelfth Annual Knit Day Extravaganza.
· Debbie Merghart, the new bookkeeper, has started and is learning the system.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
Our finances are on track. Both Social Security and the health benefit deductions have been taken out
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
The next meeting of the Friends will be sometime in November.
D. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
Included in the Director’s Report.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
The Director Search Committee
MOTION 11-23 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to go into closed session at 7:58 pm to discuss the Director Search final interviews and candidate rankings.
MOTION 11-24 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Rima Khalil to come out of closed session at 8:21 pm.
G. Policy—Erica Studness
H. Strategic Plan—Erica Studness
Erica will meet Monday with Nancy Davis of The Ivy Group.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Included in Director’s Report
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
K. Website (Ad Hoc)—Tracy Redling
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business
11. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 11-25 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to offer the position of Library Director to Ruth Lufkin starting January 2, 2012 with a transition period starting December 1, 2011. Tim will meet with Ruth tomorrow to present the offer.
· MOTION 11-26 was made by Leslie Bloom and seconded by Rima Khalil to adjourn the meeting at 8:35 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.