Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
November 30, 2011
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Program Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Paul Bryan, Rima Khalil, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, and Tracy Redling
Absent: Scott Spitzer, Erica Studness, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Anne Meany
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 11-27 was made by Rima Khalil and seconded by Lois Bloom to approve the minutes of the October 19, 2011 meeting as written. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Tim reminded the Board of Anne’s retirement dinner Friday, December 2, 2011 at the Basking Ridge Fire Company’s firehouse. Over 85 people have signed up to honor Anne.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Lois Bloom, Ruth Lufkin and Anne Meany met regarding the 2012 budget. Ruth will attend the Township’s budget meeting tomorrow morning at the Library. The Library’s 2012 budget allocation will be $47,000 less than this year.
· The Library is investigating a subscription to Freegal which allows patrons to download a set number of songs per year.
· The bathroom renovation is coming along slowly because of issues with the existing structure of the bathrooms themselves and the availability of green materials. Despite the slow pace, Library staff is pleased with the workmanship of the contractors.
· The switch from SIRSI to Polaris took place late in the day Thursday, October 27. Despite some challenges relating to ILL requests, the transition went smoothly overall thanks, in large part, to the expertise and efforts of Marcia Lubansky and to the staff training by Ann Babits in Adult Circulation and Ellen Ryan in Children’s.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
· The budget figure for 2012 was included in the Director’s report. Despite the fact that the overall allotment is decreasing, the figure for Technology continues to increase.
· A Public Works person has retired. Going forward the Library should be charged the salary of the lowest paid public works person who does buildings.
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
The Friends will meet at the Library 9:00 a.m., December 10, 2011.
D. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
· Bathroom progress has been addressed in the Director’s report.
· The roof has started to leak in a new spot. Public Works will investigate.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Ruth Lufkin, Marcia Lubansky, and Ellen Stork read through the resumes submitted for the Supervising Reference Librarian position. The committee identified several strong candidates to interview.
G. Policy—Erica Studness
H. Strategic Plan—Erica Studness
Erica Studness, Ann Babits, Ruth Lufkin, Anne Meany, and Ellen Stork, had a conference call with Nancy Davis of The Ivy Group to work on the strategic plan.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Included in Director’s Report
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
K. Website (Ad Hoc)—Tracy Redling
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business
11. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 11- 28 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Tracy Redling to cancel the Board’s December 28, 2011 meeting. The motion carried unanimously.
· MOTION 11-29 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Rima Khalil to adopt the proposed 2012 Library Board meeting schedule. The motion carried unanimously.
· MOTION 11-30 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Lois Bloom to adopt the proposed 2012 Holiday and Closing Schedule. The motion carried unanimously.
· MOTION 11-31 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Tracy Redling to adjourn the meeting at 8:08 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.