Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
June 29, 2011
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Program Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Rima Khalil, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, and Erica Studness
Absent: Paul Bryan, Tracy Redling, Scott Spitzer, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Anne Meany
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 11-20 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Rima Khalil to approve the minutes of the May 25, 2011 meeting as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Tim’s report will be covered under Personnel.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Anne announced that she had offered the Program Coordinator position to one of the candidates.
· Anne also distributed summer reading material from the Children’s Library Summer Reading Program “One World, Many Stories;” Teen Summer Reading Program “You Are Here;” and Adult Summer Reading program “Novel Destinations.”
· Reference Librarian Madeline (Mady) Roese is trying a new form of reader’s advisory--making a recommendation based on three books recently read by the patron.
· With great unhappiness, Anne reported that Myra Corbett is retiring from her position as Library Bookkeeper at the end of August.
· Anne is leaving for vacation and expects to be away all next week.
· The electrical component of the Clean Energy grant was undertaken last week and consisted mostly of the installation of movement-activated light switches. The electrical company has to return and remove the automatic switches placed in the program room.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
Finances are on target and in good shape.
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
Leslie emailed a report to the Board informing them of proposed legislation.
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
The Friends will meet in August, but the date has not been set.
D. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
· The Friends are considering paying for the repurposing of the periodical storage/historical room.
· Innovational Construction and Design needs to return paperwork before work can start on the bathrooms.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
Two resolutions regarding library funding in the FY2012 Budget have been introduced in the State Legislature: One authorizes $3.5 million for state per capita aid and another $5 million for emergency aid.
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
The Director Search Committee met to finalize the Job Description. They will continue to develop interview questions and refine the search process.
G. Policy—Erica Studness
H. Strategic Plan—Leslie Workman, Erica Studness
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Anne answered a question regarding staff response time to emails. All emails addressed to staff are answered promptly.
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
K. Website (Ad Hoc)—Tracy Redling
Anne asked the Board to take a final look at the website before it is launched.
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
11. NEW BUSINESS
There was no New Business.
· MOTION 11-21 was made by Erica Studness and seconded by Lois Bloom to adjourn the meeting at 8:10 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, September 21, 2011 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library.