Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
March 24, 2010
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Program Room A.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Paul Bryan, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Tracy Redling, Erica Studness, and Leslie Workman
Absent: Rima Khalil and Scott Spitzer
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 10-06 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the minutes of the February 24, 2010 meeting as written. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ms Meany reported on proposed threats to library service included in the Governor’s budget. His proposed 74% cuts to library program funding include delivery, Interlibrary Loan, and databases. In addition, State Assemblyman John DiMaio has introduced A2555, which would eliminate the 1/3 mil funding requirement and leave a public library’s annual appropriation to the discretion of the municipal governing body.
· Installation of the new phone system should be finished next week with an anticipated switch-over date of April 1.
· Anne will be out next week for a family situation.
· The PC Basics classes have been so popular that they are being offered every Wednesday and Monday—up from the initial offering of twice a month.
many years at the
· The Library staff has donated a basket to Ridge Oak’s Basket Bingo.
· Anne reported that she has investigated possible ways of preserving the Civil War letters from Dr. Hull’s estate.
· The roof leaks during the recent rainstorm will cost $1,680 to repair.
· Anne distributed the Leisure Learning brochure; registration continues to be strong.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
Ms Bloom reported that the 2010 budget has been released. It is approximately $50,000 (2%) less than the 2009 budget. Money in the reserve account will be put toward making necessary renovations to the bathrooms.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
C. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
Included in the Director’s report.
D. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
· Ms McNally elaborated on the threats to library service included in the Director‘s report. Of all the services that would be cut by the Governor’s proposed budget, Library staff felt that the loss of Interlibrary Loan would be the most painful to our patrons.
· If passed, A2555, which would eliminate the 1/3 mil funding requirement, has the potential of inflicting greater damage to the library.
Mr. Bryan reported on the website design requirements and
timeline developed by
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Ms Workman presented the revised Unattended Child Policy and Incident Report. MOTION 10-07 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Erica Studness to approve both the policy and form as revised. The motion passed unanimously.
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business
10. NEW BUSINESS
Ms Meany reminded Board members about the MUF dinner which
will be Wednesday, May 5 at the
· MOTION 10-08 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Tracy Redling to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 28, 2010 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library