Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
June 30, 2010
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Paul Bryan, Mary Jane McNally,
Absent: Rima Khalil, Scott Spitzer, and Tracy Redling
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 10-13 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Paul Bryan to approve the minutes of the May 26, 2010 meeting as amended. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ms Meany discussed a change of plans regarding re-purposing the former periodical room. Under the new plan, the current Historical Room would be converted to a multi-purpose room. The periodical room would become the new Historical Room. This change could be accomplished with fewer structural changes than the previous plan.
· Library staff members continue to sort through many book donations. The books are put to several uses including giving to the AAUW Book Sale, incorporating into the collection and adding to the Library’s Book Sale cart.
· Instituting the circulating museum passes became more complicated because of purchasing requirements, but the passes will be available for circulation fairly soon. Specific circulation terms will depend on each museum’s policy.
· Ryan McCloskey completed installing an upgrade to the Sirsi (circulation) client software.
· The Library has acquired a new, larger book drop for The Hills and is considering locations for the old book drop.
· Fratesi Masonry and General Contractors should start work on the front column replacement within a few weeks.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
Ms Bloom reported that the 2010 budget will probably be finalized soon.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
C. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
Included in the Director’s report.
D. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
· Ms McNally reported that both the Senate and Assembly budget bills restored $4.299 million to the New Jersey Library Network line. The budget bills also retained the $3.76 million state per capita aid program that had been in the governor’s original budget proposal. This is a 50% reduction from last year. The exact distribution of Library Network funding has yet to be determined.
· Other legislation, which passed very quickly, limits the amount of surplus a library board may retain. The legislation requires that the library board return to the municipality any amount over 20%. The library board may still keep funds in a capital reserve fund.
Paul and Tim will continue to work with Ryan on the website redesign project.
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
I. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
9. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION 10-15 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Leslie Workman to pass a resolution establishing a capital expense plan and reserving funds for capital improvements. Lois also presented a list of future capital projects for which the library will reserve funds. The motion passed unanimously.
10. NEW BUSINESS
There was no New Business
· MOTION 10-16 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Lois Bloom to adjourn the meeting at 8:40 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, September 29, 2010 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library