Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
February 24, 2010
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Paul Bryan, Rima Khalil, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Tracy Redling, Scott Spitzer, Erica Studness, and Leslie Workman
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 10-04 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Tracy Redling to approve the minutes of the January 27, 2010 meeting as corrected. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
President Tim Opremcak welcomed Erica Studness to the Board.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ms Meany asked the Friends of the Library to purchase a $5,000 disc cleaner to extend the life of CDs and DVDs.
· The architect has dropped off preliminary drawings for the replacement column. Ms Meany is awaiting the final drawings for the column.
· Ms Meany has given the architect a blueprint of the library’s interior so he can determine where to place vision windows in the remodeled PC area.
· Ms Meany presented a request for the Schiff Foundation to put a questionnaire in the library.
· Ms Meany acknowledged the Baskingridge.patch.com coverage of recent library events.
· Leisure Learning registrations are on track with over 550 people signed up to date.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
Ms Bloom reported that the 2010 budget will be about 2% ($50,000) less than 2009.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Included in the Director’s report.
C. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
Included in the Director’s report.
D. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
Ms McNally described testimony given by NJLA Director Pat Tumulty before the State Assembly Budget Committee regarding library funding.
Mr. Bryan reported that long-range planning is continuing to
move along. He met with Ryan McCloskey,
Mary Jane McNally, and
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Ms Workman will meet with
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
Mr. Spitzer commented that it is too early to see how recent
budget news from
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· Ms Bloom introduced a request by a member of the public to acknowledge the outstanding level of service the staff provides to the Township. The Board agreed that it is Ms Meany’s role to acknowledge staff performance.
· The Board discussed the Library’s closing for inclement weather. Currently, the Library follows the Township’s lead. The Board agreed that while the Director should be advised by the Township, the Library’s circumstances are such that the Director may feel it best to make a different decision.
· MOTION 10-05 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Tracy Redling to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 24, 2010 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library