Departments & Services
Police - Firearms Applications
Firearms applications can now be completed online at
Use ORI# NJ0180200
Applying online greatly streamlines the application process and will reduce the
amount of time to complete the investigation. Payment for background checks or
fingerprints is made to the appropriate agencies online. Following these
recommendations will streamline the process further.
Documents - Have the below listed documents ready to upload to the online
1. Government issued identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.
2. Documents to verify residency in Bernards Township if your current address does
not appear on the government issued identification.
3. If you are not a US Citizen, documentation of legal residency within the United
States (Permanent Resident/Green Card, Visa, etc.)
4. Documents that verify a change of name, such as a marriage license or court order.
5. New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card if you currently posses one.
6. Any documents that you anticipate will be requested or will expedite the
investigation (certificate of medical doctor or psychiatrist, court orders,
other state’s firearms permits or certifications).
Choose References - Online
applications use an e-mail format to obtain the required references.
1. Choose two references that are at least 18 years of age, and have
known you for at least 5 years.
2. Obtain current, valid e-mail address, phone number, and current
address for each reference.
Applications are still processed at the Bernards Township Police
Department Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. No appointment
Any questions please call (908) 204-3161 or contact