Departments & Services
Police - Firearms Applications
Firearms applications may be completed online at
Bernards Township ORI# NJ0180200
(if there is an input error in your application, please call us instead of creating a 2nd one)
Applying online streamlines the application process. Payment for background checks or fingerprinting is
made online. Following these recommendations will streamline the process further.
Name – Input your full name, along with any/all other names that you go by.
Choose References – Your references will be emailed a reference questionnaire.
1. Choose 2 references that are at least 18 years old and have known you for at least 5 years.
2. Provide an e-mail address, phone number and a home address for each reference.
If you are an initial firearms applicant, this department will need to receive both the Federal and State
results from your fingerprinting before we proceed with your application. Once we have received your
print results, we will email you with a request for the following documentation: (For applicants who
have previously been fingerprinted and already have an SBI number, the following information will need
to be provided again if it has been more than 6 months since your last application.)
1. NJ Driver’s License with current address or other documentation to establish residency.
2. Birth Certificate or US Passport to establish proof of citizenship. (or documentation of legal
residency in the U.S. such as a Permanent Residency/Green card or Visa.)
3. Documents verifying any name change (Marriage license or court order).
4. If employed, a paystub (with financial information blacked out) or a contact person to verify
5. Completion of an address history Residency Form.
If you are applying for an Firearms ID card and are considering the purchase of a handgun
within the next 6 months, you should apply for the Permits to Purchase a Handgun at the
Firearms FAQ’s may be found on
Any other questions, call (908) 204-3161 or contact