Departments & Services
Construction & Code Enforcement
The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for assuring compliance with the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. We provide construction permit review and inspection services for Building, Electrical, Plumbing & Fire Protection systems during new construction and rehabilitation of existing structures. Here you will find some helpful guides and information regarding how to and when to obtain permits.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q:What is a construction permit required for?
- A:A construction permit is required for everything that
is not considered an ordinary repair or maintenance. Permits
are required for Finishing Basements, Decks, Raised Patios,
Swimming Pools, Renovating Bathrooms & Kitchens,
Water Heaters, Sheds, Gazebos, new Electrical wiring and new
Plumbing installations. (This list is not all inclusive please
contact us with any questions).
- Q:What happens if I get caught working without a permit?
- A:A penalty of $2000 is assessed and any work done may be required to be
- Q:How long does it take to obtain a construction permit?
- A:Depending on the project if prior approvals (Zoning,
Engineering, Health etc.) are not required a minimum of 20 business days
should be planned for processing applications.
- Q:How much does the construction permit cost?
- A:Permits are charged based on the project and in accordance
with the construction code fee schedule which can be found
in the township ordinances Chapter 12 Section 1.3.
- Q:When I schedule an inspection can I get an appointment?
- A:No. Every inspection is unique and some take longer
than others. When we schedule the inspections we give you the
next available day. Inspections are conducted Monday-Friday between the
hours of 8:00am-2:00pm.
- Q:What if I have an old permit that never got inspected?
- A:Call the office and get the inspections. No penalty
will be incurred. If you are cited for not obtaining final
inspections the penalty will be $2000.
Thank you for visiting our website. Please contact us whenever an issue is important to you. The Township Committee and Administrator depend on your thoughts and comments, to ensure that at all times our service offerings are community driven.